Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happy Cleaning Day!

So Kazakhstan actually has a National Cleaning Day. Yes, it is true. It isn't today. In fact, it isn't in December at all (though it is another holiday today- I think Constitution Day.) I've heard different stories about the Cleaning Day. One person told me it is the last Saturday of every month and it is a government holiday, another person told me it is sometime in the Spring (the day before Stalin's birthday.) Apparently this "holiday" carries over from the Soviet times (no big shocker there.) I guess the country was supposed to be clean for Stalin for his birthday. Anyways, today is not National Cleaning Day, but it was Cleaning Weekend in the Tennen Apartment in Astana.

For those of you who know me, you will have to use your imagination and believe me on this one--- I actually got out a pair of rubber gloves, a bucket, some sponges and some rags, and I was on my hands and knees cleaning this place. This is all true. You see, I am having 2 very important people come stay with me this week.
1. My Dad is coming Thursday!!!!
2. Rylie is coming to live with me--- finally!!!!

So in an attempt to prepare for the visitor who will be crawling all over my floor and likes to lick everything, I have been scrubbing and vacuuming everything and everywhere. Adam, you would be so impressed!
As I mentioned earlier, this week is full of Kazakh holidays--- (not Cleaning Day) Constitution Day and some other fast day as well. The schedule as far as visits and when Rylie leaves the Baby House is still up in the air. So my plan is just to go where they tell me to go, when they tell me to go. I learned early on in this process, nothing is in my control- which is obviously a little difficult being that I am a control freak. So I'm doing my best at the whole "go with the flow" thing.

So while the cleaning is very "un-Sara," I did impose a new rule when Adam left which is much more "typical Sara." See, since I don't really eat out much now that he is gone, I decided that for every Sunday I am here alone, Rylie gets a new, cute outfit from Kazakhstan.
Here are Rylie's newest acquisitions....

Last Sunday's purchase:
Today's purchase:
The good news for Adam is that today was my last Sunday alone, but won't Rylie look cute!

This afternoon, I went for tea and treats with two of the other moms here. We had a fabulous time chatting/debriefing/venting/ etc. Good times!

And of course, what would a posting be without a few pics of little Rylie. Here are a few from yesterday of Rylie and Sabina playing. Obviously they both couldn't look at the same time, so in the first Rylie is looking at the camera, and in the second Sabina is.
So that's the scoop from Astana.
Love to everyone...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Missed a few days due to remote laptop issues and work is all consuming. I cannot believe all that has gone on. Life does seem to move at a faster pace once children have joined us. You are amazing! How exciting that your Dad will be with you and you will have this time together with Rylie. I bet he can't wait to join you. Rylie sounds like quite a character. Those cheeks. I just want to kiss them to bits. Have you been teaching her the funny faces or has she mastered them on her own? Take care. Stay well. Hugs and Kisses. Love, Aunt Raggedy.

Eve said...

Wow! So many things to say!

First of all... Sara -- cleaning?!?!?! I love it! Great image... thank you!

Second of all... Love the outfits... they are sooo cute! Can't wait to see Rylie in them!

Third of all... That is so great that your dad is coming this week... you will have a good time together, I'm sure.

Finally... I am so excited for Rylie to come live with you... that will be so amazing! I can't wait to hear more about it! Enjoy getting your sleep until then!

Love, From the girl who is watching the snow fall and awaiting the pats game:)... eve:)

Sandi said...

What great news and how awesome your dad is coming to see you and help you get home. Those outfits are so cute.

Love the pictures.

Sandi

Mom and Dad Bresnick said...

I agree with all of Eve's comments again..Some funny images of Sara cleaning!!! Probably never to be seen again.. The shopping images---nothing new there.. We know that Rylie had the ultimate professional personal shopper there. Anyway--Daddy is ready to come meet Rylie and help you come home. He's also excited about getting a Kazakhstan stamp on his passport... It takes so little to make him happy..I will meet you all in Arizona...

Be well! Love ya. Mom/Rylie's Nana

Susan said...

Sara, I am with you, I don't like cleaning either!! But, if my dad was coming I'd have to clean. :)

and of course, your daughter coming home.
I love her outfits!!! Those are so adorable!!! It's so hard not buying girlie outfits. It's really hard when you're even sure what size or age your daughter is, and really not even sure you will be adopting a daughter.
So, ADam is lucky that at least you know you have a daughter and you know her size. :)

That is so funny they have a cleaning day. :)
I liked the National Women's day, but i liken it to Mother's day, which is also a nice holiday.

Love the pics of the 2 girls. SO CUTE!
I'm so glad you've met some moms to chat and vent with too.
:)

Kim said...

Uggg, I remember the "old school" way we had to clean. No mops! No 409! :) What great outfits, they are adorable. Rylie will look so sweet!

Saba and Safta: Ed and Elaine said...

Hi - What great outfits - fit for a little queen! Wait 'till Mommy gets her to Nordstrom's :) .. and Sara cleaning - Adam, you have some competition; now Sara can join in on the discussions of the most efficient cleaning products! Have an easy flight, Bill and we'll hope to hear from you as well. Best to you from Ventura.

Regina said...

Love the cute outfits! You have great taste. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.

Congrats on having two very special housemates very soon!

Matthew Ruley said...

I just found your blog and I am looking forward to catching up; I'll be reading it from beginning to end. We are adopting from Kaz too; our dossier is on its way to the MFA. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Bringing Rylie Home- Our Journey to Kazakhstan