Greetings from Astana---
Here are a few pictures from our past two days. Holiday preparations are in full swing at the Baby House. They don't celebrate Christmas here, instead New Year's is the big bash. They have a big New Year's tree set up and lots of decorations throughout the Baby House. Here is a picture of the playroom part of Rylie's group's suite. For the past few days, the caregivers have been decorating the place and it looks great!

Today, Rylie and I got a big treat. There was a holiday celebration going on for the 3 year old group. They were all dressed up in costumes (part of the New Year's tradition) and they were singing Kazakh New Year's songs. There were a bunch of adults dressed up as holiday characters, including the favorite Father Frost (Santa Claus) and the Snow Maiden (Father Frost's daughter who is his helper- apparently he doesn't have elves.) The children were absolutely adorable and so excited by the holiday celebrations. We just peaked in the corner so as not to disturb the children. It was really special to get to see it. Unfortunately no pictures of the celebration since I am not allowed to take pictures of the other children in the Baby House. But you can use your imagination--- a 3 year old is a 3 year old- so imagine 25 ecstatic 3 year olds dressed up for the holidays getting to see Father Frost. It was really just a sweet celebration!
Here is a picture from yesterday of Rylie with one of her caregivers, Raisa. Like the rest of the caregivers, Raisa is very sweet and loving to all of the babies.

Yesterday, along with a few other families, we brought a huge donation to the Baby House of over 1000 diapers, creams, medicines, and toys for the children of the Hope Baby House in Astana. Here are a few pics of us with the goods. Five families in all contributed to the gift, but two have already departed.


Yesterday afternoon, I went out and bought Rylie some little booties because I think her feet might be cold in the snowsuit-- it is like a big bag that she goes in- sleeves for the arms, but the leg part is like a bag. I think it is more comfortable that way for her, but her feet will be too cold with just socks on since some air still gets in. Check out Rylie modeling her newest booties. They are like the Kazakh version of Uggs.
And of course, Rylie with her favorite doctor. This is Dr. Anara. She is Rylie's pediatrician here. Rylie LOVES her (despite the blank stare on Rylie's face in the picture- Rylie was mad because I took her sippy cup away from her for her to take the picture.) Dr. Anara is really sweet and takes such good care of her babies.
And of course, the close up of the day :-)
Love to everyone...
6 comments:
Love the Uggs, very trendy and practical--an important combination. That celebration sounds like so much fun! As someone who celebrates Christmas, I like the whole daughter as helper to Father Frost thing...the elves always creeped me out as a kid.
Glad everything continues to go well! Miss you and love you! Michele
Hi Sara,
I am so happy for you, Adam, and Rylie. I've been reading everyday and love learning about your experiences in Kazakhstan. It's funny b/c I've had to do some research on Kazakhstan recently for work. Anyway, I hope you will continue your blog once you come home to Phoenix. I'd love to learn how Rylie is adjusting to America and to her new surroundings. Best to you all.
Have a safe flight.
xo.
Debbie Milman
aww it looks so festive there!! thanks for including the pics!!! I bet those 3 year olds were precious==that is such an adorable age. :)
I love her boots-VERY fashion forward and warm! Her tootsie's will be warm in those!!
The caregivers and doctors look very nice too. :)
How cool you and the families went in to buy all that stuff. That is awesome! :)
thanks for sharing!
Now, it's back to wrapping for me. :)
HI--I really love those Uggs as well. She will look very cute in Arizona --in her shorts and tee shirts with her Uggs--definitely very trendy..
That gift to the baby house is so so so nice and practical. You have to let all of us know how we can continue that tradition once you and Rylie get home. There are many people who have asked me how they can contribute to the Baby House.
So glad that you got to peek around the corner at all the cute children. My wish is that they will all find wonderful homes , too.
Stay well--I can hardly wait to see you and Rylie. Love to you all..Mommy
What a wonderful thing to do to bring the supplies to the baby house! You did your mitzvah for the day -- that's for sure:).
And the decorations for the celebration look so great... and your description of the 3 year olds at the party was so nice. you really are an excellent blogger:)
I bet you learned these writing skills in our freshman year writing class where we became best friends:)
Miss you!
love, eve:)
You two have certainly made going to the computer one of the most exciting and enjoyable events of the day - we love watching how much Ms R is progressing and entertaining you! - can't wait to see grandpa Bill in the pictures, too! I guess he must be there by now. We're all counting the days until you are both home; See you soon and love from Ventura.
Post a Comment