We woke up this morning to a snow covered city--- it's been a while since we've woken up to snow outside. I have to admit, we were both a little excited- although I think the novelty will wear off really fast. We started the day off with a visit to Baby T. We had two good days with her. Yesterday, Adam wasn't feeling well, so it was pretty much Sara and Baby T. We had fun looking out the window and playing in the mirror. She LOVES the mirror. She likes to dance with the baby in the mirror. Today, we had fun rolling the ball back and forth. She loves to sit on the ground and roll the ball and catch it. I think she might have a future as a soccer goalie, but really- no pressure or anything.
After our visit, we went to lunch at this awesome buffet. I'm happy to report that we both had excellent meals. Mom- you will be happy to know that I (Sara) had a big piece of fish- lots of protein!
This afternoon we went to the Chesed- the Jewish Community Center here in Astana. It is in an apartment on the other side of town. It isn't a typical JCC- not like the one in Rockville or Scottsdale. Much smaller (just a few rooms) but still very vibrant. It seems like there is a ton of stuff going on there on a regular basis. We met with Dina- the director of the Jewish Center. She actually speaks English, so we were really excited. (Our Hebrew wasn't so impressive last week when we were speaking with the Rabbi at the synagogue.) Dina told us all about the activities they have at the Chesed. There are regular events for children around the holidays, they have a big festival with other Jewish children from other parts of Kazakhstan, Uzbekhistan, and Russia, and they also have what they call the Children's Club- it seems almost like Hebrew School. Today when we were there, there were a few kids coming for the activity about Chanukah. Dina said that on weekdays, they only get between 5-10 kids because everyone is so busy, but on Sundays, there are often up to 20 kids that come. Most of the children are between 5 and 13. Additionally, the Chesed is involved in activities for older people as well as giving out the food packages--- your Federation dollars at work! (For those of you reading who do not know this, the Chesed is run by the Joint Distribution Committee which is funded by the Federations of North America- where Adam works.) We are waiting to hear back from Dina on different ways we may be able to volunteer here over the next couple of weeks.
This is the entry to the Chesed. It is inside an apartment building without any sign on the outside of the building. But this is the JDC sign that is on the front of every Chesed.

This is a picture of the main room in the Chesed. Children were starting to arrive for the afternoon activity as we were leaving. In addition to the main room, there is a small library, a kitchen, and an area with offices.

We are now back home in our warm apartment (with heated floors!) Before we went to the Chesed, we went to this awesome bakery with our translator and Kerry and Dan. We got amazing eclairs! So now that we're home we got to eat our eclairs with some hot tea.
Adam got to go to the Chesed and Sara got to eat eclairs---- everyone is happy :-)
So that's all from snowy Astana. Hope you are all well.
Love to all----
PS- Eve, I thought it was spades that we played. Leave it to Rebecca to remember!


6 comments:
Hooray--
Baby T., protein, e-clairs, snow...Life is good! I am glad that you are finding ways to fill in the days when you can't be with the baby. Good also to see that the Hebrew is returning somewhat. I hope that Adam is feeling better..
Take care of yourselves.. We are waiting anxiously to see pictures of our new baby grand-daughter...
Love ya--Mom and Dad aka Nana and Pa
wow! snow!! we live in florida, and it' cold here. well, it was 60 yesterday. I was freezing! I told my husband...hummmm...if i am freezing in this weather, what do you think i'm gonna feel like in Kaz?
it's a good thing i am stocking up on warm clothes. I don't think i'll be wearing my fit flops and yoga clothes in Kaz. :)
glad you're having fun. :)
Hi!
So much news. First I do hope Adam is feeling better. It is especially crummy to not feel well away from home. Baby T sounds scrumptiously fun to be with. I'm with your Mom and Dad - protein good - you all staying well is top on our list of wishes. Snow - better there than here - we still haven't raked our leaves. Wishing you a continued wonderful experience on your journey with your new blessing. Hugs and Kisses. Love, Aunt Raggedy
Hi - what a great report and so interesting! Nice that you may be able to volunteer a little while you are there. Waiting anxiously for BT's pictures; The elcairs sound yummy. Can't wait to play coo coo with BT (we're experts at coo coo around here) Love,
mom & dad
It is very inspiring to know that you will attempt to volunteer while you are there. Won't that also be a wonderful story to tell your daughter about her country?! Amazing!
Great updates. Thank you!
Karen & Glenn.
What I remember of those games, Sara, is the sherbert and my bags of doritos... That and well, being btchy to all that tried to interrupt our game of, well, I guess, it was euchre:)
love your stories...
love eclairs:)
Post a Comment