Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Taste of Real Fall

It has been a busy few weeks, which has not left a lot of time for blogging. We have a lot to catch up on...
Rylie is now 18 months old! The pediatrician was happy with where Rylie is and what she is doing and even okayed the fact that we've returned to some co-sleeping habits of late. Aside from some less than desired sleeping skills and some normal experimentation with aggressive behavior and testing limits, Rylie is doing great.

We had a special treat in mid- September as Nana and Pa came for visit for a week.


Pa with Rylie and Micah
And just a few days after they left, we headed back to Maryland for a visit and to celebrate Rosh Hashonah. Rosh Hashonah is unquestionably my favorite holiday. Getting to spend Rylie's first Rosh Hashonah in Maryland with Nana, Pa, Auntie Bethany, Uncle Jay, Jordyn & Micah made it extra-special.


Rylie and Nana

As the holidays fell on Monday night, Tuesday, and Wednesday, we were able to spend a few days just hanging around- visiting with friends, exploring the wonderful city of D.C. (every time I go back I realize just how much I miss it,) and introducing our little girl to the world of Fall- squirrels, chipmunks, acorns, pumpkins, stomping on leaves, playing in a shady park with a creek, Fall clothes, and more. While the desert has its own special offerings, there is nothing like Fall.

Rylie loved getting to spend time with her cousins. The three kids had a great time together, and as always- when coming from the land of one story Arizona homes, the stairs in Nana and Pa's house were a big hit.

I don't think I've written about this before, but it is pretty funny. And as this blog will one day serve as a Baby Book for Rylie, it must be included. Our nephew's name is Micah. He and Rylie are together all the time. Aside from our family outings, they are in the same class at school. They play together constantly. In fact, the past few days when we were all in Maryland together, Rylie's first word when she woke up in the morning was asking where Micah was. Here's the problem... Rylie can't say Micah. She says the "M" sound beautifully- Mama, More, My, Mine, Marla (her teacher,) Miller (one of the other children in their class.) But Micah comes out "Kycah"- not such a polite word for a little Jewish girl to call a little Jewish boy! Lately, it has turned more into a "Kahcah" sound. We're not sure which is worse- a derogatory term, or another word for poop!

Nana and Pa had a Princess chair, a Dora chair, and an Elmo chair. Who knew Micah would love the Dora chair so much! It became a pretty hot commodity!

I love Micah and Rylie's expressions in this picture.

We headed downtown on Monday. Rylie slept through her first Metro ride.She woke up while we were walking somewhere around 12th Street and Pennsylvania and was on serious stimulation overload.

We spent the day visiting the Natural History Museum, the Air and Space Museum, and a special exhibit on Jim Henson and the Muppets.

Rylie loves airplanes and gets so excited to see them. Here she is demonstrating what the airplane does while in front of the cockpit in the Air and Space Museum.

Love this face! I couldn't resist this picture. Yes, I am a liberated female, my mother reminds me constantly that she "marched for me." But I still couldn't resist. And I love the little pose she is striking with her hand up and her left knee bent!We had lunch while sitting outside on the Mall. Rylie loved chasing and feeding birds and playing in the leaves.

Earlier in our visit, we headed out to Butler's Orchard for some pumpkin picking. The festival was cancelled because of some rain, but we still spent some time in the pumpkin patch. Pumpkin picking in Arizona usually occurs in Target or Walmart, so I was pretty dead-set on taking Rylie to a REAL pumpkin patch!

Rylie searching for the perfect pumpkin- or apple as she calls them.








And finally, the actual holiday.

Rylie, Jordyn, and Micah on Rosh Hashonah

We had a wonderful time, and we were all exhausted by the time we got onto the plane. Thankfully this resulted in Rylie sleeping for the first 3 1/2 hours of the 4 1/2 hour plane ride!

Love to everyone...

10 comments:

marsrob said...

What a wonderful trip!!!! Just wonderful!!! Happy New Year!

Kim said...

Looks like a fantastic trip! Fall is the best time of year. I love DC as well. So much to do, you can never be bored.

It's funny to hear kids pronounce words when they are first learning to talk. You should hear Josh say "Foot."

Susan said...

oh my gosh, i can never get enough of seeing your Rylie. she is SO GORGEOUS. i just love her. WE HAVE TO MEET!

I love how her ankles were crossed while she was passed out in the subway in her stroller.

She is such a diva-and such a pretty smart one, even if she can't say Micah. :)

and, um, my 10 year old co-sleeps-still-so don't worry. I'm sure Rylie will not be as dsyfunctional as Sean is. :)

She is one pretty, sweet, smart lil girl. I Love seeing all these Kaz kids-could they look any different? From Rylie's adorableness to Leeza's pale features.....both gorgeous lil girls ,both diva's, both Kazakh cuties!

I cannot wait to meet her.

Great update, glad you had fun.
we do have punkin patches in Florida-we wear shorts, and there are not corn Mazes, but they're still fun.

I am so dead tired-must get to bed but i had to check on Leeza's diva pal. :)

GREAT UPDATE.
Rylie gets cuter and cuter all the time. love it!

Jennifer said...

Wow, totally worth the wait! What a great post filled with wonderful pictures. Rylie just keeps getting more and more grown up. Love the overalls- too cute!

Truly, the pictures are all so good- love the pumpkin one, the stewardess one is great, the picture of her and Micah, etc.

Gigi's been a lot more restless at night. Hmm... I wonder if it's a phase?

Thanks for the update!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Yea!!! I have been waiting anxiously to see the fall pumpkin picking photos from your trip. Looks like you all had a GREAT time! How wonderful to spend a trip celebrating together with family and enjoying a taste of the seasons. Rylie is growing so quickly. Watching the changes that Rylie and Tougy mirror so closely has been extra fun since we have known the the three of you from the beginning, in the halls of the baby house.
Thanks for the wonderful photos and update! We look forward to our next meeting, whenever that may be. : )

Eve said...

OMG! First of all -- I love the pictures and the stories! It is soooo great! And I am so happy you had a nice holiday with the family back east! And I am so happy Rylie wanted to go pumpkin picking....

I miss you guys!

The Cook said...

Great trip it sounds like. cute cute cute

Abby said...

I'm delurking to wish you and your family a healthy and happy new year! I've been reading your blog for a while but have not had a chance previously to comment.

I love Butler's Orchard. As kids we went every year to pick strawberries in the late spring and to pick pumpkins in the fall. Last year I went with my nephews (then 4 and 5) to the pumpkin festival.

Abby

Karen said...

Beautiful photos of your family. Rylie is so gorgeous. Micah is a really cutie too. And how special to be back east for all the Autumn festivities. Believe it or not, I'm originally from NY and have never been to DC. When Garrett gets older, I'd like to take him there, as well as Philadelphia, to learn more about his country's history.

Great post!!!!

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

love the picutres... she sure is growing.. wow!!! adorable...
sounds like you had a great trip.. how awesome for all of you...

Bringing Rylie Home- Our Journey to Kazakhstan