Thursday, October 23, 2008

One year...

One year ago, we flew around the world. I still believe there is nothing more exciting than getting on a plane to fly clear across the world to meet your child.

One year ago, we were reminded for at least the five hundredth time that this process was completely out of our hands.

One year ago, we sat in a conference room in the Baby House and waited.

One year ago, our perfect little princess was brought through the door wearing a bright orange outfit we will never forget.

During the eight months leading up to our travel, I often wondered about our child. I wondered if we would be blessed with a little boy or a little girl. I wondered if our child had been born yet. I wondered where in Kazakhstan our child was waiting. Even though we had never seen her picture as we traveled completely blind, the second they placed Rylie in our arms, I knew instantly- this is my child. My chubby cheeked baby with dark, beautiful eyes and crazy brown hair was finally in my arms.

While we spent the next ten weeks jumping through the hoops of the Kazakhstan adoption process, from that very first moment she was placed in our arms, Rylie was our daughter and we were her Mommy and Daddy.


October 23, 2007


October 2008

Dear Rylie,

We love you so much and are so honored that we were picked and blessed to be your parents. We are so proud of you every day. We love the way you are so eager to learn about the world around you and try new things. We love how proud you are of yourself when you finally accomplish something you have been trying to do. We love how you love to play in the dirt, wearing pink sparkly sunglasses and play jewelry. We love how you give the best hugs and kisses. We love how you are such a good snuggler in the morning when you first wake up. We love your independent spirit and your desire to only do what you want to do, when you want to do it, and how you want to do it. We love how you discipline yourself by doing things you know you aren't supposed to do, and promptly wagging your finger back and forth saying "no, no, no" or running to the time out spot at school. We laugh how you discipline other people when you believe they are doing something wrong. We love that you dance whenever you hear music no matter where you are, including public bathrooms. We love that you say "hello" and "bye" and blow kisses to every person, animal, bus, and airplane you see. We laugh about how free-spirited, strong-willed, and fiercely independent you are. The truth is, it wouldn't be right if Mommy had a quiet, complacent child. We love how you are stunningly beautiful on the outside, and even more beautiful on the inside.

Before we travelled, people in the adoption world always told us that our child would choose us.
Thanks for choosing us, Pumpkin!

We love you,

Mommy & Daddy

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Rylie--

We also cannot believe that it is a full year since we heard about you and met you through your parents' words and pictures. It seems as if we have always known you, maybe because we knew the kind of child that your Mommy and Daddy would have---a delightful, independent, absolutely brilliant, strikingly beautiful, and totally cuddly little imp...That's you--- and we are so happy you have chosen us as your grandparents as well...We see so many of your mother's and father's best qualities in you---their caring nature and desire to truly make the world a better place through good deeds, their wonderfully wacky sense of humor and their ability to laugh at themselves and bring joy to others, their completely sincere devotion to their friends and family, and their absolute conviction that a piece of their collective heart resided "over the rainbow" in a faraway place named Astana, Kazakhstan--and without that journey last year, they would never feel complete. How proud we are of all of you for finding each other. You were all truly "ba'shert"---meant to be.

Be well and happy always.. Know how much we love you . Your Nana and Pa---The Marylanders!!!

Carolyn Tarpey said...

Hi Sara,

Happy I year as Rylie's dear parents! I can't believe you met Rylie just 2 days after I met Henry, isn't that something?
Rylie is so beautiful and is always glowing with happiness, from the inside out!
It has been a wonderful year for all of us!

Much love,

Carolyn and Henry

Karen said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary, Sara and Adam!!! What a wonderful day and I love the Dear Rylie letter you wrote to your daughter--so sweet and heartfelt. I'm sure she'll melt when she reads it one day.

Here's to many, many more joyous years together.

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

many, many CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Wow! I am left with goose bumps. What joy for an incredible family!! We feel blessed to have been a part of the beginning. Rylie, we look forward to watching you continue to blossom as the beautiful, capable and strong-willed girl that you are are.
Big Hugs!!
Kjersten, Steve and Tougy : )

Kim said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Your letter to Rylie had me teary. It is amazing how time passes quickly, really makes us appreciate our children that much more.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

It's hard to believe how quickly a year has passed for us both and how much our babies have grown and changed in this short time. Rylie was and is such an adorable and wonderful child. I am glad you found each other!

Susan said...

I'm glad Rylie chose you too-cuz you are perfect for her.

she is adorable and so are you guys,and thanks for making me cry AGAIN tonight. :)

Adoption is such a miracle, and I am so grateful for all your support and encouragement while I waited,and worried, and waited and worried some more. Of course, you were right-we were picked by the beautiful Leeza Grace,and neither of our lives will ever be the same. :)

Bless you Tennen family!

Aaron and Julie said...

This is such a beautiful post - thank you for the tears :) Happy Anniversary! I still cannot believe it has been a year! You are an amazing & beautiful family.

Eve said...

OMG... I have chills... must write more later... that was beautiful!

We love you Reily!

The Cook said...

soooooo sweet!

Tricia said...

Happy one year with Rylie and many more happy years ahead! From the photos, it looks like she felt that you were her parents right from the start, too! Isn't it amazing how we are matched with our children? There is a higher power at work there. She is a beautiful child inside and out. It is wonderful how much joy she brings to your lives.

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

Happy 1 year! I love what you wrote. That is so sweet and from the heart.

You give me hope that our Kaz adoption will be completeed and we will be able to say one year ago...

Jennifer said...

Wow, look at how much she's changed! I realize that's a dumb statement as she was once a little baby, and now she's a full fledged toddler, but still! :-)

What a very wonderful letter. I'm sure she will treasure the words and the memories as she gets older.

I can't believe it's been a year for you guys already! Amazing. Time flies, does it not?

Patrick & Eileen said...

One year....time flies! Your letter is a beautiful one to sweet Rylie.

The photos were amazing from the time you met to today. It's so neat to see the changes in appearance and in their little personalities.

She is certainly a joy. I love reading your blog and catching up on your little one :)

Hugs,
Eileen

Patrick & Eileen said...

Sara,
I thought that I had your e-mail address on our laptop. Can't find it! Could you e-mail me privately?

Thanks,
Eileen
hochstein2005@verizon.net

Angela said...

Beautiful post, Sara. I am so glad that you all found each other. You have an amazing family.

Although I didn't comment much I followed along on your journey. You certainly gave me hope for our own adoption process and, now, here we are home with Alia a year later.

The whole thing is just amazing!

Bringing Rylie Home- Our Journey to Kazakhstan