Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hard to believe...

Six months ago today, we sat in a conference room in the Baby House in Astana, Kazakhstan. Filled with emotion, anxiety, and sheer exhaustion, our lives changed forever. The door opened and in came a beautiful, little six month old girl in an orange outfit we will never forget. I had heard different things about what that first meeting might be like. Some adoptive parents had told me they knew instantly, others had prepared me for the reality that it may take time for us to feel like this was our child. I will say, for me, the very first moment they brought Rylie into the room, I knew she was meant for us. It was the most surreal experience of my life. In my head, I had an image of this child with crazy black hair and huge cheeks. Well, you know the rest of the story.... We cannot believe it has been six months since that day. In some ways, time has flown by (I am still trying to find the "PAUSE" button) but in reality, it seems like Rylie has been here forever.

We are thankful each and every day for the gift of Rylie. People tell us on a regular basis how lucky Rylie is. The truth is, we are the lucky ones.

October 23rd, 2007

Now...

11 comments:

Eve said...

Wow! I can't believe its been 6 months! She has grown so much... those before and now pictures are unbelievable!

Continue to enjoy every minute!
love, eve:)

Patrick & Eileen said...

I've been meaning write....Rylie is just so so adorable :)

It is amazing that time has passed so quickly. Like you I have felt that when we meet our little one - I do picture *crazy black hair & chubby cheeks.* I can't wait!

In the mean time - I'll enjoy pics of your sweet little one!

Eileen

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Hello to our AZ friends!!
WOW - I can't believe it's been 6 months since you met Riley. That also means that it's been almost 6 months since meeting Aitugan for us. That almost seems impossible. It sure is crazy how fast the time has flown by (being on this side of the process). It now feels like a blink of an eye. Rylie looks great. We are SOOO excited to meet up with all of you the end of next month!
Take care,
Kjersten, Steve and Aitugan

Curlymom & Dr.Dad said...

Wow, her transformation is amazing! She is such a beautiful girl - and looks so happy in the photos! Congrats on 6 months! I know what you mean about it feeling like you've had her with you all your life - but then again, it has been such a short time.

On another note, we spent time this weekend with the Boothbay crew, the Morrisons...and found out that you guys shared quite an experience together in Kaz!!! We had no idea, when we were on the airplane with you and your dad, that your Rylie knew Aitugan!!! How COOL! Another really special connection. we just love this Kaz-adoptive world!

Congrats again and we send our best!

Jennifer & Marshall & Aila

Susan said...

She looks so much like her momma.
She sure gets prettier every day.

I bet it feels good to hug and kiss that sweetie when you see how crazy it is to get over there now.
Thank goodness for cutie's like you and Rylie to remind us to hang in there and not give up. :)

Jennifer said...

Wow, she's so beautiful! Isn't it simply amazing how time just flies?!

I totally understand on the Pause button comment. It seems like they should still be our little babies.

Catalina said...

She grew up so much and she is sooooo beautiful!! 6 months ago was a truely blessed day!!!

Chrissy and Russell said...

Hi - I've just stumbled across your blog from the post you left on the Ruopoli's blog. Rylie is such a cutie! Congratulations!!!!

I was wondering if you'd feel comfortable sharing the cost-cutting tips you mentioned on the Ruopoli's blog - we're definitely stressing over the costs involved in this. Any advice from folks who've "been there, done that" would be fabulous. If you're willing, my email is rabcam323@hotmail.com. Thank! And congrats again on 6 months home with the little one!

Mom and Dad Bresnick said...

She is so beautiful and this family is so lucky to have her as one of its starring members. We love her so much and are so glad that you all found each other and brought her home to us and the rest of her wonderful and crazy family---!!! Love ya Rylie- Rylie-Rylie !!!!

Love, Nana and Pa

Regina said...

It must be so wonderful to just KNOW the moment you lay eyes on your child. Rylie has changed so much in 6 months! She is a stunningly beautiful little lady, and it sounds like she has a winning personality too.

It would be great if we "just know" too, but I will try not to expect it because it seems to be the case only about half the time. We shall see...

Thanks for all the inspiration!

Karen said...

What a wonderful post. And congratulations on reaching the 6-month mark. Rylie looks so happy and healthy--you've all been so blessed. Very happy for you guys.

Bringing Rylie Home- Our Journey to Kazakhstan